- The candidate must be a member of ALA. If not a RUSA/BRASS member, the recipient must join RUSA/BRASS upon being selected to receive the award.
- The recipient shall have a demonstrated interest in providing business reference services. This may be demonstrated by involvement in special projects, creation of a business website, business-related programming, publications, and related activities.
- The award will be given to a recipient whose conference attendance is not fully funded by their institution.
- Recipient must be willing to participate in BRASS activities at the ALA Conference for which the award has been made and to write a short statement regarding his or her experience at the conference for publication (e.g. RUSA Update) following the event.
To nominate a librarian, download and complete a nomination form, following the submission instructions therein. Questions should be directed to the committee chair, Edmund A. Rossman, [email protected].
To nominate a librarian, please submit the nomination form along with a letter of nomination to the committee chair outlining the nominee’s accomplishments in public librarianship and business reference, including but not limited to involvement in special projects; creation of a business web site; outstanding service to the community; and publications.
1) Nominee does not receive funds from his/her library to attend ALA conferences.
2) Nominee receives partial funding from his/her library to attend ALA conferences. (Please elaborate in letter of nomination.)
The deadline for nominations is December 9, 2016.
Presentation of the Award
The formal announcement and presentation of the award shall be made at the RUSA Achievement Awards Ceremony at the ALA Annual Conference.
The recipient of the award will be formally invited by the Chair of BRASS to attend BRASS Executive Committee meetings and other BRASS activities.
2016: Susan Wolf Neilson, librarian, Wake County Public Libraries (N.C.)
2015: Barbara Alvarez, Barrington Area Library (Illinois)
2013: Salvatore DiVincenzo, Middle Country Public Library (N.Y.)
2012: Anne MacDonald
2011: Suzanne J. Kaller
2010: Ed Rossman, Adult Services Librarian, Shaker Heights (Ohio) Public Library
2009: Not presented
2008: Elizabeth Malafi
2007: Rachelle Miller
2006: Not presented
2005: Terry Zarsky
2004: Kay Cormier
2003: Bryce Thornton
2002: Sandra G. Rizzo
2001: Lisa Holbrook
2000: Karen Van Drie